How to Reset Your Elkay Water Filter Light
We all want our water to be crisp, clean, and refreshing. Replacing your water filter is part of the process of maintaining your water filling stations. If you live in the Chicago, Illinois, region and have a water filter that needs to be replaced, knowing how to reset the water filter light after it’s all said and done can help you stay on top of changing and replacing your water filters in the future. That’s why we at Allied Plumbing & Heating Supply (PHS) made this helpful guide offering step-by-step instructions on how to reset your water filter light.
Why Resetting Your Water Filter Light Is Important
Resetting your Elkay water filter light might seem like a small, insignificant task, but it’s important to reset this, as it helps you track when you need to change your water filter next. This ensures that your filter continues to do its job correctly and particles aren’t making their way into your water glass. If you don’t reset your light, you might forget to change your filter, resulting in potentially harmful chemicals and organisms making their way into your home.
How Do You Replace Your Water Filter?
Before finding out how to reset the water filter light on your Elkay water cooler, it’s important to know how to first replace the water filter. Installing it correctly can ensure that the water filter functions properly and doesn’t cause error codes when it comes to resetting your water filter light. Here’s how to replace your water filter:
- Remove the lower cover on your cooler by removing the four screws attaching it to the cooler.
- Turn off the water supply, and bleed the system by dispensing water.
- Rotate the water filter clockwise a quarter turn to carefully remove it.
- Remove the red cap from your new filter, and insert the new filter.
- Turn the new filter fully counterclockwise until you can read the blue label on the front of the filter.
- Turn on the water supply, and run water through the system.
How To Reset Your Elkay Water Filter Light
On certain Elkay water filters, the water filter light will reset itself as long as the new water filter is installed correctly. On other models, you reset the water filter light manually. Follow this step-by-step guide to help you reset your water filter light fast.
1. Remove Bottle Filling Station Top Cover
Removing the filling station top cover gives you access to the water filter program button. To remove this cover, unscrew the two Torx screws, and lift the cover up.
2. Press the Program Button
The program button is typically on the top right of the filling station, right under the cover. Press the button for approximately two seconds or until the display changes. Then you can release the button and watch as the display cycles through a few messages.
3. Press the Program Button Again
As the display cycles through “RST FLTR” and “SETTINGS,” press the program button as it reaches the “RST FLTR” message. This is the reset filter monitor. Pressing the button on this option results in a new message on the display as “FLTR=.” Pressing the button a final time will reset the filter. To verify this, the message will look like “FLTR=0,” and the filter light will be green again.
4. Replace the Top Cover
Once the filter is reset, you’re ready to put everything back together. Replace the top cover on the bottle filling station, ensuring that the cover fits snuggly in place. Then, reinstall the two Torx screws on the top cover. From there, you can replace the lower cover of the cooler with the four screws you removed when replacing the water filter in the first place.
What Do the Water Filter Lights Mean?
There are three different lights associated with the water filter and four different meanings behind them. Here is a breakdown of what those lights mean:
- Green LED: This light means your filter is working correctly and doesn’t need changing.
- Yellow LED: A yellow light indicates that your filter is nearing the end of its cycle and should be replaced soon.
- Red LED: A constant red LED light means that the filter is no longer effective and needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
- Flashing red LED: This light means that there is something either wrong with the filter installation or that something else is wrong. Referring to the manufacturer’s troubleshooting guide can help you pinpoint the problem and get the water cooler back up and running.
Water Filter Tips
Here are some additional tips to consider when using or replacing your water filter:
- Replace your filter every 3,000 gallons or one to two times per year.
- Run at least two gallons of water through your new water filter to purge air and other particles from the water line; this should take a couple of minutes.
- Low water flow or strange-tasting water might be a sign to replace your water filter, even if the filter light is still green.
Benefits of Buying Your Water Filter at Allied PHS
Allied PHS is the Chicago, Illinois, region’s leading supplier of Elkay kitchen faucets and sinks, including the parts and filters that go along with those products. This means you can count on Allied PHS for all your water filter needs. The benefits of buying your water filter through us include peace of mind knowing that you’re getting quality products straight from the manufacturer and big savings, as we offer these products at competitive prices so you don’t have to break the bank while maintaining your Elkay products.
Do You Need Water Filter Parts?
Do you need water filter parts or kitchen products? Well, look no further than Allied PHS. We’ve been selling quality Elkay products, including kitchen sinks and faucets, for decades. If you need help figuring out what you need to get your kitchen to the best it can be, feel free to contact us, and our helpful team can help you find the perfect products that fit your budget, lifestyle, and aesthetic. We look forward to helping you out soon.